Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 65

Thread: Alice Cooper speaks out on politics

  1. #51
    Inactive Member Sandi Glam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7th, 2003
    Posts
    283
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just one other point. Deviant made the following statement which I wanted to address:

    "I'm proud to be Welsh, but that doesn't necessarily infer that I'm feverishly nationalistic. The kind of feverish nationalism which occurs as a result of say, 9/11, only blinds one to the consequential problems
    which brought about that incident in the first place."

    Great point. The rest of the world doesn't really relate well to the nationalism that most Americans feel. I've traveled quite a bit in my life, and spent significant time in Europe, and they by and large, basically laugh at this notion of constantly singing the national anthem, having flags all over the place, forcing children to pledge their allegiance to the flag daily, etc. I have often believed, even as an American, that we do so much here in this country so can make it permanent in the brains of the children that they believe that somehow American can do no wrong, and is truly God's chosen country. These notions of course, are obsurd, and while I believe our country has the ability to be a truly great country, I believe we are far from it. When we start caring as much for the innocent victims of rebellion, violence, and terrorism in countries that don't house huge oil supplies, then we will be on our way to being a truly great country.

    In regards to Deviant's point about post 9/11 nationalism, I agree 100%. I lived from 1996-2000 in New York City, and worked in the Federal Reserve Bank just three blocks from the World Trade Center. My f**king heart broke when those buildings came down. But when Bush was there, talking like he thinks he's John Wayne, saying "The people who knocked this buildings down are going to hear from us real soon" just made my stomach turn. It is my opinion, that he was spitting on the souls of those lost there. A true leader would look at WHY 9/11 happened. Unfortunately, my beloved country is so stuck on believing the great USA is never guilty of any wrong doing, that we can't allow for any analysis, only vengeance. It is truly sad...

    Sandi

  2. #52
    Inactive Member Cotton Candy Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2003
    Posts
    2,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    1) (and most importantly) 2002 NLCS. All I gotta say on that one. GO ORANGE AND BLACK!!!

    2) Yeah, the Onion IS a satirical paper, but the most blatant of satire still drips with the truth. And, btw, it's usually a hell of a lot more leftist leaning than it is in that article.

    3) I am neither liberal or conservative. I'm a moderate. My leanings ARE more to the right but they still don't rule my decision making capabilities. I have a brain and think with it. When going to high school and college, I was in the presence of many ultra liberals. I learned their tendencies almost exclusively. My teachers, too, were more left leaning. That said, I still look at both sides with a rather critical eye. Both are full of shit and will gladly wade through bile to get your vote. Politics always suck.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ August 29, 2004 04:00 AM: Message edited by: Cotton Candy Lover ]</font>

  3. #53
    Inactive Member deviantdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2004
    Posts
    1,966
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pretentious, inverted self-righteousness does
    not become you. I simply asked you to repeat
    you question, that's all.

    Surely this simple task is not even beyond
    your minute capabilities?

    D.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ August 28, 2004 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Deviant D ]</font>

  4. #54
    Inactive Member Stacey0471's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2003
    Posts
    3,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Generally, I don't do politics or religion.

    All politics are ugly.
    There is no ideal nation.
    Nowhere is run 100% satisfactorily.

    I see no point in criticizing other nations, when my influence only counts in one, my own.

    On the ballot paper is the only place my opinion matters. Anywhere else it counts for jack.

  5. #55
    Inactive Member deviantdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2004
    Posts
    1,966
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've already pronounced those three points.

    Here's another: my bloody (Mozilla) browser
    only slows down when typing out these entries.

    I don't know why, and I care even less.

    Fix this software.

    D.

  6. #56
    Inactive Member Sandi Glam's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7th, 2003
    Posts
    283
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow...I never dreamed in a million years that my simple disagreement with Alice Cooper's politics would launch into a full on political debate. As a hardcore Democrat who spent his college years writing political columns for the college paper, and a current political activist, it pleases me greatly to see that there are people on this board who not only care about the world, but also understand that IT DOES MATTER

  7. #57
    Inactive Member Cotton Candy Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2003
    Posts
    2,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Sandi Glam:
    As a hardcore Democrat
    <font size="4" face="Arial">I'm so sorry for you. [img]tongue.gif[/img] JK bro'. I just believe that there is substance to the statement that whoever is 20 and not a democrat is considered insensitive and whoever is 40 and not a republican is considered ignorant. Who knows? I've never allowed myself to be pigeon-holed into any particular category. If the Dem candidate is better, then I'll vote for him or her. If the Rep one is, then I'll vote for them. If there's a third that's better than either major party candidates, I'll vote for them (hey Ross Perot). I just have issues with peeps saying that Bush is a horrible president when, in actuality, I think he's doing a pretty damned good job. A lot of the problems (economy) aren't really his fault. That said, I think this election is a matter of the lesser of the two evils. At least we know, also, where Bush stands on his issues. Kerry STILL hasn't been very forthcoming with his platform. Until he is, Bush gets my vote this year. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  8. #58
    Inactive Member deviantdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2004
    Posts
    1,966
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I believe the people of New York have spent the
    past weekend making their feelings heard about
    the forthcoming Republican's conference.

    As for 9/11, it was almost on open secret, that
    the CIA foiled its precursor - Operation Bojinka
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bojinka) -
    several years previous. Sadly, only internet media
    is/was even been interested in this.

    D.

  9. #59
    Inactive Member Carl I.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2003
    Posts
    4,786
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just a few things. This'll be REAL short for me like. (channeling redneckism since I am an Ugly American)

    1. I once said I was an atheist, then I said I was agnostic, now I say I have no idea. I once said I was an anarchist (does any Punk not say such a thing, until they grow up), then I just didn't give a shit, then I started to vote, now I am pretty much back to not giving a shit. Lowsy candidates. Dem? Rep? The second you chose a side, you stop giving a fuck as much as the people who don't vote. Vote the person and ideals that person holds, don't vote by the party or by the BS they will blow out their ass in speeches. Try and find what is REALLY valuable to that person. That will show the character.

    2. If you don't like what any of the candidates have to offer, VOTE BILL THE CAT!!!!

    3. I get a kick out of people who believe that the way things are now, is new. D. said earlier

    "As for the 'ideal' country. There isn't one.
    We live in an age inherently incapable of
    producing either an ideological sound state
    or a utopianist environment with which to live
    in."

    Man, this world has always been in that "age". As long as Bobby has a toy that Billy wants, we will never get along, and there will never be peace. And more to the point and realistically, as long as we have more than one religion and one lot corner, there will always be war. Trust me, I am a Land Surveyor, people will ALWAYS fight over land, no matter the scale, or how obvious it is that somebody DOES NOT own that 1 foot of land!

    Hell, that is all.

  10. #60
    Inactive Member deviantdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2004
    Posts
    1,966
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lycan said:

    'That said, A) what'd they actually have to say and
    B) if those same were protesting the DNC, what would
    your opinions be?'

    I'd opine, I believe the people of So-and-so have
    spent the past weekend making their feelings heard
    about the forthcoming Democrat's conference.

    'Are you actually saying that you find the CIA's actions
    to be beneficial for a change?'

    I'm saying that, on a grand scale, they succeed
    as often as the fail - which isn't a good pecentage
    for any organisation.

    --

    Carl said:

    'As long as Bobby has a toy that Billy wants, we will
    never get along, and there will never be peace.'

    So we should choose a more egalitarian-Marxist way
    of life, then?

    D.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •